Refer Now
(800) 229-8183   available 24/7 Donate Now

Emergency Preparedness - Be Ready to Shelter in Place

Be Ready to Evacuate

  • Identify two emergency exits in case one is blocked, and pick a spot outside the home where members of the household should meet.
  • Prepare your family contact plan.
  • Review the plan regularly with family members.
  • Track weather/news updates via television or mobile devices.
  • Contact Samaritan at (800) 229-8183.
  • If our 800 number does not answer, please call (866) 771-7084.
  • A Samaritan representative will attempt to contact you.

If you require immediate assistance, contact 911.

  • You should try to make arrangements to be self sufficient for up to 72 hours.

Recommendations to consider include:

  • a supply of water (one gallon per person, per day),
  • non-perishable packaged or canned food including a non-electric can opener,
  • prescription medications,
  • first-aid kit,
  • flash light,
  • batteries,
  • and cell phone.

Each municipality has an emergency management plan. If necessary, their representative may contact you on behalf of Samaritan.

  • Have at least ½ tank of gas in car at all times. Keep all phones charged.

Prepare a “Go Bag”

Prepare a “Go Bag” in case you need to evacuate including important documents in water proof bag (including family contact plan), cash, personal hygiene items, medications, batteries, flashlight, radio, phone, warm clothing, bottled water and non-perishable food like granola bars, and a first-aid kit.

NJ Special Needs Registry

NJ Special Needs Registry is designed to help emergency responders locate and safely evacuate people who could find it difficult to help themselves in the event of a major disaster, such as a hurri­cane. The registry is free, voluntary, strictly confidential, protective of your privacy, and a way to pro­tect you in a major emergency.

How to register:

    • Log onto
    • Telephone 2-1-1, toll-free.
    • Telephone your County Office of Emergency Management.
    • Mail a completed paper form to your County Office of Emergency Management.