Refer Now
(800) 229-8183   available 24/7 Donate Now
mature man having blood pressure taken

Home-based Primary Care Frequently Asked Questions

Interested in learning more about home-based primary care and the services of HomeVisit Physicians? Read our FAQ for information on primary care and doctor house calls in South Jersey.

For more information or to make an appointment, please call (800) 229-8183

Why do patients choose to receive their physician care at home?

Patients and their families or caregivers often choose the services offered by home-based primary care providers such as HomeVisit Physicians because of the ease in which the elderly and disabled can receive complete medical care. Patients who are unable to travel to a doctor’s office without transportation or assistance have a much more comfortable and convenient way of obtaining medical treatment.

Does a patient have to have a serious illness to have a physician visit them at home?

No, HomeVisit Physicians provides a full range of medical care to elderly patients or those with disabilities or problems with mobility. The care provided at a home visit ranges from routine check-ups and preventive care to the diagnosis and treatment of serious illnesses.

Can a patient receive a home visit in an assisted living or nursing home setting?

Yes, HomeVisit Physicians visits patients in their homes, as well as assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, nursing homes, retirement homes, and retirement communities.

What can a patient expect at the time of their home visit?

home care worker talking with patientAn initial home visit consists of a comprehensive history and physical examination in conjunction with a thorough assessment of the patient’s current living conditions and caregiver needs. An individual plan of care will be established and all medications are reviewed and adjusted as necessary.  All subsequent care will be provided according to the patient’s individual medical needs. Follow-up visits will be regularly scheduled in order to routinely monitor the care and condition of the patient.

Who will provide the care during a home visit?

Every initial home visit is performed by a highly skilled, board certified physician. The full staff of home visit providers also includes certified and geriatric nurse practitioners who will see the patients on some subsequent follow-up visits.

What insurances does HomeVisit Physicians accept?

HomeVisit Physicians accepts Medicare assignment and is credentialed with most major insurance companies. Medicare will pay 80% of the cost of a home visit after the patient has met the annual Medicare deductible, with the remaining 20% being covered by secondary insurance. Patients will be responsible for the Medicare annual deductible and the remaining 20% if they do not have a supplemental/ secondary insurance policy that covers these costs.

For more information, please visit the Medicare website.

Does HomeVisit Physicians accept HMO insurance?

Yes, we do participate with most HMO insurance plans. However, our doctors cannot be selected as a patient’s “PCP.”  If a patient’s HMO plan requires referrals, they will have to choose a “PCP” other than our doctors and the home visits will require a referral from that “PCP.”

What if a patient already has a doctor?

If a patient already has a doctor but has a medical need for a  home visit, our providers will work along with the current primary care doctor by providing a detailed report of each visit, or our doctors can become the patient’s primary care physician if a patient so desires.

When are home visits available?

Home visits are provided Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Our physicians are available by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.

How does a patient schedule an appointment for a home visit?

To schedule an appointment, please call (800) 229-8183. Our office staff is available by phone Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. & 5 p.m. All appointment messages left on the machine after hours will be returned the next business day.  Appointments are generally scheduled within 24 to 72 hours of the request, and the scheduling department will call to confirm the appointment the day before the home visit.

What if a patient has an emergency?

HomeVisit Physicians is not an emergency service. If a patient is a hospice patient, call Samaritan at (800) 229-8183. If the patient is not a hospice patient,  call 911 immediately.

What if a patient is admitted to the hospital?

HomeVisit Physicians works with all area hospitals and hospitalist groups to ensure seamless, quality care to any of our patients who are admitted to the hospital. Our providers will be contacted by the hospital’s attending physician when necessary and, upon the patient’s discharge, we will provide prompt, post-hospital follow-up care.